Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 11 - Deepavali Day 2 (Grandma's revenge)

Today started off insanely early, with mom propping me up on a chair, while i was half asleep and pouring nalla yennai on my head ( They could sign a contract for 25 years to extract oil from my head you know? ) and nagging me constantly to have bath soon (Kind of difficult when she keeps knocking on the bathroom door ten times a minute, simply because the neighbors started bursting crackers).

To my greatest disappointment, she had my saree waiting when I came out, and I stuggled for around 1 hour to drape it properly. Then came the duty of distributing sweets to the neighbours. Half of them could not recognize me immediately because of the saree - AWKWARD!
(The aunty folk fell laughing saying "drishti suthi podu" and "oh! unaku maapla paarkanum" , I mean wtf? I wear saree one day and they are ready to get me married!!! )

The torture did not end there. My mom would not hand me my new jeans, because it was black .( "No Black during festival. You can wear in the evening" :P)

I had to roam half of Chennai, visiting every athai and mama and paati, with the saree on! (Thankfully it was held up by two dozen safety pins. Bless the man who invented them!). And everyone seemed to have made only gulab jaamuns (If I see another jaamun today, I swear to god.....!!!!!!)

I was having a tough time walking around!

By the time I came back home, I had sworn several times, in extremely filthy language may I mention, like a thousand times ( to myself ofcourse, my mom would have me hung). But every oncoming 100 buck note with the vethala paaku, kept me quiet :)

Back home, I retired to a simple meal of mom-made dosas and sambar, and after watching Dashavataram for like the umpteenth time, I'm here blogging :) (Beasuse ma specifically told me not to sit online and get to bed early :D Blogging secretly, knowing mom is right in the next room and she will scream herself hoarse if she catches me, is so cool in a weird way :)...


Hope you guys had a great time too :)


PS : I stoppped bursting crackers a couple of years back, for no reason. Its so much fun even without them :)
PPS: Paati, I hope you are extremely happy now! I have roamed around with a constantly pink face!!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm... u must have looked gorgeous re.. show me photos later ok?!

and i'll treat u to jamun itself when u come to Bangalore :D ;)

Priya Vinay said...

:P how do i know?

and about the jaamuns.. sure - its my favorite sweet. Today overloaded!

Anonymous said...

"oh! unaku maapla paarkanum"

shall i help in that search?? I have contact details of some 'alien' bachelors!;) ur marriage will take place in kuiper belt!:P

i stopped crackers bcos it was so dumb..have to keep it,light it and wait till it bursts..im not that active..best is to lie down and watch all programs..!

ithuve paravala, en bro kalyanama mudinja vudane,enkita "aduthu un route clear thaan"-nu mandapathula ellarum sonaanga..wtf? ..it was really irritating...ggrrrr!x-(

Soin said...

nalla velai..veshti is simple to wear and a single belt and shorts enough to protect u..shud have got a black saree with skulls and stuff in it..free

Vishnu said...

lol.. i finally escaped all these tortures atleast once.. but now i feel tht i miss them.. mixed emotions..
so hw much was the collection?? wat did u do with tht money??

Priya Vinay said...

4 sriv...

Thanks a lot dude! but no thanks.. I plan to stay single atleast for another year (after that I don't think I'll be allowed to :P )

Thankfully even my blogger buddies are as lazy as me :) should tell ma :)

As for the ruote clear - ippo theiriyama gf vechiko :D
:)
:)

Priya Vinay said...

4 soin..

SIGH!!! lucky u..

I wouldn't wear a saree even if it was tht inviting :P

Priya Vinay said...

4 vish...

I'm gonna miss all this too :(
I got two weeks left...

Well it was around 2 grands... I saved it to blow it all later :D
:)
:)

Vishnu said...

two weeks left for what.. i think u didnt mention anythin or i missed.. so wat is the countdown for??

looks like one more pattupodava for the 2 grand.. lol..

Priya Vinay said...

4 vish again...

Two weeks left to shift to b'lore. Joining Oracle next month.
:)

I'm not planning to waste my money on saree :P

Anonymous said...

hmm..enna eppo cts koopduvaanne therla!:((

Priya Vinay said...

4 sriv...

Oh Cts?? He has called the 2008 BSc students...
Porumai anaithum Vellum :)
I waited around 8 months :D
:)
:)

Amal Bose said...

haha..its common that wen ever a girl wears a saree,shes promted to marry soon. I mean,one of my friends wore a saree for a marriage and the next day, she got 4 proposals.. i mean, she s not even 21 :|

well.. these festivals are great fun, isnt it.. i really enjoy them :)

take care

Anonymous said...

@amit
exactly!
saree and flowers can't match any worldwide fashion dress for girls.

We wait for year to see our college girls in silk saree+flower during our college fests..hmm..miss them a lot!:((

Anonymous said...

@amit
{{redirect}} [[Amal]]

Priya Vinay said...

4 amal...

:P But its still pretty silly...
But yeah festivals are fun :)