Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 14 - Proof of Existance of Aliens

As the time for joining nears, I found myself dreaming of everything that has passed.
One distinct memory is etched in my brain...

It was October 15th 2008. Placement day.
It was my third attempt at getting a job. I had fared pathetically in the previous two attempts and I badly needed to get inside atleast this company.

Morning: (Scene : In the bus)

"You think you'll clear today?", I ask Bharthi(my best bud).
"Like hell!!!", she replies and I smile.
"You got your iPod?", she asks. I nod and we spend half the morning listening to songs.

Afternoon: (Scene: After the aptitude round)

"Hey Pri!!! You cleared the aptis!!!!", Bharthi screams.
I'm dazed.
I mutter, "Aliens Like to play". She rolls her eyes, but still gives me all the support she can and sends me off to the technical HR round.
I'm sitting soaked in sweat outside HR's cabin.
"Don't look at my face after today, if you dont clear today", says my Placement officer, passing by me. Big help!!!

Evening: (Scene: After the Technical and HR rounds)

"Am I in?", I asked Bharthi with my eyes closed, facing the selected candidates list.
"Good news or bad news?", she asks.
I sigh! Hattrick.
"Bad", I say in a flat voice.
"You are the only one selected in our whole college. You have to spend for a party for the aliens", She replies.
Blurs follow.

October 16th 2008
Venue: College
Scene: In the HOD's Cabin.

"Excuse me sir", I chirp.
He motions for me to come in.
"What?", he asks with utmost contempt that he can muster. (He doesn't like me much you see? :) )
"I got selected"
"In?", He is now irritated. This is too complicated for him to figure out, you see. I've never been selected in anything.
"Sir. The Company. I've been shortlisted", I say as happily as I can.
His face registers utter shock. That was the best day of my college life. Bless the aliens!!!
"How did they pick you?", Is all he manages to say.

How do you think he would've reacted if I'd told him I was the only one in the whole college? I let that be. I hope he chooses his favorites more carefully now.

4 comments:

Vishnu said...

u always shd take revenge.. u shd hav said tht too.. btw which company?

Priya Vinay said...

4 vish..
The smug look on my face was revenge enough i guess... :D

PS: Oracle Financial Services:)

Soin said...

no funny badly drawn cartoon of his expression?? placements starting for us.. worst..free

Priya Vinay said...

i can't draw even a line...
:D
All the best to u :)
Thank god! My college days are over!!

PS: I realized pretty late that you can add pictures for the posts too :P