Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 7 & 6 - Iyer Ootu Kannalam

Tension and temper both running high today. One of my cousin sisters got married today.


Everybody except the groom seemed to be angry, sad or simply bored.
I was given driver duty - i.e. ferrying people and things back and forth the chathram and home (It is really not worth being the only youth around without a job and with a license sometimes!!!)

Well marriage is usually a thiruvizha affair in my family, considering there are hardly any girl children in my family (3 is the exact figure, now down to 2).

Marriages in my family, are usually a match-making get-togethers (Its like, another one down, lets hook up the next), this one being no exception.

All the aunty folk spent their time eyeing each other's bling-bling and attires. Exchanging top-secret-military-info about how the bride/groom were hooked up, and checking if there were any eligible bachelor(ette)s left on the other side so they could try bringing them together. There is always the talk of how much the bride is bringing along with her. (I could go on here and there would never be a stop).
The uncle folk, joked about their married lives (sigh! brave entities these men), eyed their respective aunty folk secretly to make sure they were out of ear-shot before they could talk about their yester-year girlfriends, some talked about their career, investment, money. Some were worried about missing the ODI today. But, mostly they were wondering every few seconds, when the food will be served. (And obviously the list stops here)
I stood in one corner, and watched as the groom tied the mangalyam. I watched as my sister was beaming one instant then in tears the other (only a woman can manage to do that). I also overheard too many people already getting excited about getting me married (I'm next in line. Thank you). I also made a mental note to ask someone to get an escape vehicle ready outside the chathram's ventilator :D

PS: Sorry about the title - but I overheard one of the passers-by commenting that it was an - "Iyer ootu kannalam" (Singaara Chennai-in iniya Tamizh vaazhga)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice marriage :D

are u sure the passerby said that? :P
or u misheard the person? :D

Priya Vinay said...

4 leo...
:D
Nope I heard it crystal clear :)

Soin said...

oo aaiyar ootu pona neenga..thair satham naraya sapduveengla.athuvum mavudu potu??. lol the marriage..i know.. happens in my house too.. next in line?? pretty fucked..everytime they meet they will be asking for ur jadhagam..good luck with handling those paatis and aunties whose sole job in life in matchmaking.and yes why do women cry for happy stuff.no feminism.just a honest question am asking a girl..free

Priya Vinay said...

adhu yenna? iyer na thair saadham mavadu thaana??? yenaku rendume pidikaathu :P...
pretty fucked is right! Everyone is just waiting for my dad to nod (right now he is like she is very young, you get her married, I pity the guy)
Why women cry when happy is beyond my capacity of thinking :)
frankly its a question you should asking a sterotype girl :)

Soin said...

sarcasm girl..nanum aaiyar aathu paiyan..we are always seen as stereo typed..so ask ur sis and tell why she cried..free

Priya Vinay said...

4 soin...
:P Will ask, when she returns home :)

meow said...

wonder wat'l happen if the ladies come to know of their husbnd's yester yrs gf's

Vishnu said...

full time comedy panreenga..
like ur dad said.. i too pity the guy.. lol.. matrimonial sitesla account iruka??

Priya Vinay said...

4 aru...
I wonder too :D

4 vish..
my mom must've created an account, who knows :P
Yevan photo paarthu yemaaraporano!!!!